Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day #1--Happy Easter

Happy Easter.

Today's church service was filled with pretty dresses, snazzy suits, amazing stories of redemption and reminders of the power of the Resurrection. We heard amazing testimonies of the redeeming nature of our God, and most stories had to do with individuals falling to rock bottom because of addiction stemming from some type of wound, and then being rescued from the pit by Jesus. I think we sometimes forget how prevalent addiction is. It's everywhere and in everyone in one way or another. Addictions come in all shapes and sizes and I'd argue that you can pretty much become addicted to anything. The smallest most seemingly insignificant thing, (TV for example) can have just as much, if not more power on someone than a substance like cocaine. It baffles my mind. Also, the power of the mind baffles my mind. Because that's the one thing all addictions trace back to--mind struggle. What would happen to the state of humanity if we gained power over our minds instead of the other way around? Is it even possible? It's interesting to think about.
Anyway, that's what was swirling around in my head during church. Now I'm back at home and other things are swirling around--mainly smells from the kitchen. Of cinnamon rolls, honey baked ham, sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, FRICK. Tonight I will be practicing sitting in my room with a cold plate of salad while the YWAMers sit around tables in the cafeteria sharing warm smiles and hot dishes of delectable treats. I'm not irate about it yet. Actually, I'm pretty peaceful about it. But it's only 8 hours into this fast. So far 2 bananas, almond butter and some cashews a few hours later have been enough to satisfy my spoiled belly. Oh, but I should probably mention that I had a caramel macchiato at 1pm. In an attempt to poop. That might be TMI for most of you, but for me, as the Colon Health Queen, it's nothin' more than a topic for dinner table discussion. So sorry in advance, but there might be much more poo talk in the next 29 posts than you might enjoy. Anyway, this is my written pact to you all (so far Josh Brown and maybe one other person) to NOT drink sugary lattes in order to poop anymore during this fast. Because I have a feeling it just re-toxifies me as if I'm back to square one. So. here's to no more coffee--yerba mate instead. Clean, yet stimulating--mentally and...physically.
Cheers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

here's some accountability! I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. day three was especially rough for me, although I only went five days.

eap said...

Ooooh, dear, a black cup of coffee does much more to progress bowl movements than syrupy and milky latte! For me at least.
B, these next 29 days are going to feel like the most delectable days imaginable for everyone but you. There's something about deciding against eating that suddenly makes you realize how our lives seem to literally revolve around food. We eat and eat and when we don't eat we talk about eating. But though food is a glorious blessing, it's not what our lives are about, and I have FULL confidence that you can master your mind (and body) to accomplishing this goal, so long as your fasting is for the Lord, and not for yourself. What good is a body sustained by food if your soul is not sustained by the Spirit?
Praying for you, B.

Becky Sanders said...

Thanks for the support, gallie pallies. I appreciate and value your input a lot, both of you.